Friday, December 08, 2006

Why Local TV Commercials Stink

I was reading a classmate's blog today, and she mentioned something that I have long been put off by... Bad marketing campaigns and sucky commercials. A common theme with all poorly done marketing campaigns seems to be that they are mostly produced locally.

I want to try an experiment with this post. Instead of spending hours sifting through local commercials and picking the ten that I think are the poorest, I think it would be fun for the readers of this blog to search for their favorite cheesy commercial and leave the link to it in a comment. I'll then go through the links and do a top ten list, much like the one I did for the Loved Yet Forgotten Childhood TV Shows and then submit the list on Digg.

As a small prize for submitting the best commercials I will include your name (either real or some sort of username) and a link to the website of your choice. This could be a blog or a web page you have, I just ask that the content of the page you choose is clean and unoffensive.

A lot of the elements that local TV commercial producers employ can be seen in the video I've linked to this post. My brother made this ad as a joke in high school and I think in some ways it's better than some of the local commercials I've seen. So, there you have it. Let the experiment begin!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where can I get one of these beds; my wife would love one for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

That's soo true! I hate bad commercials. Seems like Utah is full of them.