Friday, October 20, 2006

Social Networkers Are Becoming Immune to Ads

Advertisements on Social Networking sites are being ignored, according to a MarketingVOX article. Likewise, the article reports that peer recommendations are the most influential to user's of sites such as Myspace and Facebook.

As a social networker these findings come as no real surprise. I hardly ever look at the adds. When I go to Facebook or Myspace I think I've subconsciously trained my eyes to only notice the things I care about, like messages or friend requests. When a bogus email comes to me promoting some great new feature or product I don't even give it a second glance before deleting it. However, if someone in my network of friends or family requests a website or product I would probably go search for it as soon as I had the chance.

This is a behavior that seems to be true for most users. So, reverting back to my post yesterday the rules of the marketing game are changing. Marketers are going to have to rely more and more on personal promotion of their products to stay afloat in an online 'user-powered' world.

No comments: